Saturday, April 6, 2024

First Officer

When I was first approached to run for a Toastmasters officer position, I was curious, but the suggestion to run for President seemed a step too far since I had never held any officer position before. After discussing the role with the President at the time, I became convinced that I could handle it. Why did I change my mind?

In the beginning I was overwhelmed. The District training for the President's role made it feel as if the very success of the club rested on my shoulders, quite literally because the President is responsible for the Club Success Plan. I ricocheted from triumph to despair depending on the events of each meeting, whether members joined or drifted away. 

One settling activity has been opening each club meeting. I was nervous at first, and I wrote a script reminding myself to welcome attendees to our meeting, introduce myself, say a bit about the goals of the club, and introduce the Toastmaster of the meeting. After more than 30 meetings out in front, I feel more relaxed up there. I adlib sometimes, remember to welcome guests and induct new members as needed. 

The most important epiphany I have had is to let each other officer play their role. Instead of immediately volunteering, let others share the burden. I am even comfortable delegating some tasks. I feel ten times more at ease in the role now. I'm glad to share this experience with the next President and have decided to run for an even more demanding role, VP of Education, as the next chapter in my leadership journey.

2 comments:

  1. SF, stepping into the President's shoes is no small feat. (No pun intended!) I have seen your leadership grow over the year and appreciate all that you do for our Club. sn

    ReplyDelete

Ancestors 2

My Mom's mother grew up in Hungary and came from an ethnic German family. At the end of World War II, it's likely she was caught up ...