Saturday, April 20, 2024

Ancestors 1

I'm something of a European mutt genealogically speaking. This will be the first of several posts exploring where I came from.

My Mom's father grew up in Poland near the border with Germany at that time. He was 18 years old in 1939 when the Germans invaded. What happened to him during the war is uncertain. He never wanted to talk about it later. I have read that many Poles were enticed or forced to work in Germany. 

At the end of the war, he was in the American occupied sector and found work with the US Army. Instead of returning to Poland he joined the US Army and immigrated to the United States. As far as I know he had no further contact with his family in Poland. 

Later, my uncle tracked down a cousin in Poland and discovered we have living relations there whom I have never met. I've often wondered what it would be like to meet them, but I don't have any solid plans to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ancestors 2

My Mom's mother grew up in Hungary and came from an ethnic German family. At the end of World War II, it's likely she was caught up ...